Saturday, January 24, 2015

Another One Bites the Dust

Student loans can kiss it, because I just realized I've paid off a $12,000 loan.



Yep, $12,000. I feel like it's my birthday. Except it's in January. And I'm not getting any money.

Now, I've talked about student loans a few times, herehere, and here. But in case you forgot, Ryan and I started our marriage with a whopping $140,000 worth of student debt. That's the damage after scholarships, grants, and course fee waivers. What a joy it's been, investing in our future. 

But what an investment! I have two bachelor's degrees and a master's in business administration and Ryan's working towards getting his doctorate.


So in general, we use my paycheck to pay for our normal expenses, which include normal monthly student loan payments. To pay off our student debt ASAP, Ryan and I funnel his checks into paying off loans. Now, you may think that graduate students are very handsomely paid but I can assure you, they're not. In the least bit. 

In my very little free time, I like to recalculate the pay off dates for each of our remaining loans. The loan we're currently targeting is technically two loans and they are scheduled to be paid off on February 20th. But since I'm all over managing our debt like white on rice, I went in today and saw this little gem!


One of the loans in the account is paid in full! I can't even begin to describe this feeling. It's superb.

Now, if only I could fast forward three years. That's when all of it but $28,000 in subsidized loans are left. Talk about a weight off my chest.

What are you looking forward to? Are you working on your debt?

No comments:

Post a Comment