Thursday, March 27, 2014

Student Loans and Me

Okay, let's be honest. Student loans suck. I read an article today stating just how much student loan sucks. And how, they're really hurting recent graduates. And I'm one of them. 

If your parents covered all your student loans, I hate you a little. My parents partway helped me through undergrad but grad school was all me. Ryan's parents didn't help him at all. He wanted to go to college so he paid for it. Or shall I say, we're paying for it.

It's tough. When I first calculated our student loan debt it was just under $140,000. Yea. One hundred forty THOUSAND. I cried a little. All right, a lot. I cried oceans. That debt is keeping me from doing things. Like saving for a house, a new car, or retirement. Renting is not my ideal. But I like it a hell of a lot better than living out of boxes under my parents roof. 

Ryan and I budget all the money we earn. His goes directly towards paying down student debt outstanding (but not currently in repayment). My paycheck goes towards current student loans, rent, gas, our phones, internet, food, and insurance. 

Last year, we paid over $25,000 in student loans. $7,500 of that went straight to interest. I'd like to pat myself on the shoulder. But when I look at our still outstanding loans, I cry. Though, I only cry buckets now. It's manageable, right?

Do you have student loan debt? How are you managing?

No comments:

Post a Comment