Sunday, March 2, 2014

She's Crafty - Toothpick Jar


As much as I love to bake, I do not have a nice toothpick holder. It's been a box for the past two years. And whenever I want a toothpick the box decides to give me twenty. It could be that the box isn't really conducive to upright storage, but hey, I have next to zero kitchen storage. Here's the offender...


I had stumbled upon an awesome pin for matchstick storage and thought it would work perfectly for my toothpick problem. I gathered up the following stuff to start off my project...


1 Scrap of Paper
3 1/2" Hole Punch
1/8" Hole Punch (not pictured)
Toothpicks
Scissors
Pencil

Now, I recently had a 50% off coupon for Michael's and I used it on that huge hole punch here. It was originally $24.99 but with that coupon I stole it for $12.50. I freaking love coupons. Seriously, I don't shop at Hobby Lobby without pulling their always-available 40%-off-one-item coupon. If you have a Hobby Lobby around you, I strongly urge you to pull up that bad boy.

Onto the good stuff...

Step 1. I took my awesome new hole punch and made one. It's freaking huge! Unfortunately, the punch was too big for the jar so I took my pencil and the jar lid to trace the size on the other side and then used my scissors to trim it down to size.




Step 2. I packed the most toothpicks I could into that tiny jar. I'm guessing I got a couple hundred jammed in there. (Ha ha. Get it? "Jammed" in there? Because it's a jam jar? Man, I crack myself up.)



Step 3. I used my 1/8" hole punch to make a hole right in the middle of a flower.



Step 4. Screw the band on the jar and find yourself with a toothpick jar. 



Overall, I think this project was a definite HIT. It looks awesome and now my baking tool drawer isn't full of wayward toothpicks. Think you might tackle this one? What other small stuff could you store in those jars?



No comments:

Post a Comment