Thursday, April 17, 2014

She's Crafty - Ring Box


Earlier this week I posted a blog about emptying my jewelry stand and putting it onto a board hanging on my bedroom wall. Well, that covered necklaces, earrings, and bracelets, but a girl has rings right? To go with my awesome new jewelry board, I made a ring box for all those rings I have floating around. I think it looks pretty damn awesome, a definite HIT. I'm really glad I worked on these two projects. It's the little things that just make me feel like this apartment is a little bit more like home. 


I used a gift box, seat cushion foam, and scrap material from my old bedskirt to make this, along with an exacto knife, scissors, ruler, and some glue. 

Here's how I did it:

Step 1. Cut the foam to fit your box or container. I used the scissors to get the desired size. I fit it to the exact dimensions (not leaving any room for the cloth) of the box.

Step 2. Score the foam almost to the bottom of the piece. I used the ruler to keep my cuts straight. Each cut was about 3/4" apart.


Step 3. This was the hardest step for me. I cut a piece of cloth about four inches wider than the foam and six inches longer. In hindsight I would give it more room to save myself from redoing it five times. Lay the cloth about an inch over the side of the foam. Working away from the edge, separate the foam on your cut lines and work the cloth in. The ruler is really helpful in doing this. Holding your newly stuffed cloth, work your way to the end of your foam. 


Step 4. Layer some glue in the bottom of your box and carefully put your foam in. Use your ruler to shove excessive cloth down on the sides. 



Step 5. Find a small book to fit in between the foam and the top of your container. Then grab the largest books you can find and pile them on. You want to make sure you have a great seal with the glue. Luckily, I have some personal taxation and fraud examination books laying around from college. I knew they'd come in handy again!


Step 6. Let dry for the prescribed amount of time - I left mine for six hours. Then, load it up! I love the way it came out and I'm happy to display my rings in it.


I had a lot of these things on hand, so it didn't cost much. Just the price of the foam which, from Walmart, was just $6.98. I still have plenty left over for other future projects. I might even make more of these and give them out at presents!

No comments:

Post a Comment