Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Food for Thought...Nutella Frosting


A few years ago, while I was still with GE, I was nominated to attend a leadership development workshop at the famous Crotonville. Crotonville is like university for the folks at the heart of GE. The company invests about $2.0 billion a year in the center on courses and innovative learning. It's no wonder the campus looks like this:


Yea, it's pretty sweet. The hotel located on the campus can hold over 400 folks and has stocked kitchens with ready-to-eat sandwiches, yogurt, fruit, snack, and Haagen Dazs ice cream. It's like heaven there. Oh, and there's five star meals from the on campus executive chef. They really spare no cost. This is the place to make connections across the company and up the ladder. 

The campus also has two places to hang out, the Green House and the White House. The Green House is self-sustainable and off the grid (hence the "Green"). The fully open bar, pool tables, and darts offer ways to interact and network with folks. If that's not your speed, the completely redesigned White House, is a coffee shop with professional baristas and the most delicious thing on this entire planet. The Nutella Hot Chocolate.

Up until that point in my life, I had never had nutella. Ever. I'm not quite sure where my life was headed before this magical drink but I certainly knew that my life was going to have a whole lot more nutella in it afterwards.

Which brings me to today's recipe. Nutella Frosting. Since my glorious discovery of the delicious hazelnut spread, I've tried to incorporate it into everything. Today, I bring you frosting. Here's what you need:

1 stick of butter
1/2 cup nutella
1/4 cup milk
1 cup powered sugar


Step 1. Soften butter in microwave but be sure not to melt. You don't want to wait to spread this on your cupcake. 

Step 2. Beat together butter and nutella until well combined and there are no butter lumps. (Sorry, no pictures. I was making this up as I went.)

Step 3. Add in milk and powdered sugar. Beat on high until all ingredients are well combined and fluffy.

Step 4. Refrigerate for 30 minutes as your cupcakes are cooling. (This step is NOT required.)

Step 5. Layer this delicious-ness on your cupcake (I made vanilla) and try not to eat one right then and there. 


I sprinkled toffee bits on top of these to make them just a little bit more heavenly. Ryan couldn't wait for these to come out of the oven. Or for them to be frosted for that matter. 


On another note, I truly hate, hate, hate my kitchen lighting. It's dull and gross. Someday I'll switch to nice bulbs. Maybe even LED, you know, after I hit the lottery.

No comments:

Post a Comment