Tuesday, April 15, 2014

She's Crafty - Jewelry Board Frame


In my peruse of pinterest, I've stumbled upon a few different pins about putting your jewelry on display like this one and this one. Since then, I haven't been able to get the idea out of my head. To be able to see all my jewelry! Then I wouldn't be stuck with wearing the same pieces day after day. I would be able to check out my choices. Daily. I was bouncing with joy as I started this project. A month ago...

I already had some of the supplies I needed. Small frame for earring holder? Check. Paint? Check. Pegboard, big frame, pegs, chicken wire? UNCHECK. It also took me a few days to convince the hubbs that these were necessary items for my latest crafting idea. Somehow, he just doesn't see the pictures in my head. Weird, right? I bought the pegboard and hardware cloth at Home Depot, pegs from Walmart, and frame from the Albany ReStore.

After spending what was probably too much money, I started out making the small frame for earrings. I actually have had this one done for a while. I used two coats of the silver finish and two coats of gloss clear coat. Because the frame had slots where plexiglass fit in, I was able to slide the hardware cloth right in and not use staples to keep it there.


The one part that took the longest to get was definitely the frame. I had to find or make the perfect one. After searching a lot of goodwill, salvation army, and thrift stores I found what I was looking for at a reasonable price. I wiped it down, coated it with two layers of a white base, then painted three layers of silver coat on top of it. Followed by a layer of clear coat, I just had to get the pegboard fitted.

Good thing I have strong men who have and know how to use power tools...namely a table saw. Us poor women are just so lucky to have them around. (Please read the heavy sarcasm layered in there) But man, they are nice to have around. 

the hubbs and my dad

With four coats of my favorite color paint on the pegboard followed by what seemed like seven layers of clear coat - I couldn't seem to get the even gloss - the pegboard was ready to go into the frame! I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was for this moment! I kept running back and forth looking at the wall, looking at my frame, trying to figure out what else I had to do to get this on the wall. Securing the board in with teeny tiny nails, this bad boy was ready. Note that I did take off the hanging wire and loops from the back and used just the saw tooth hanger on top to mount it.


It was a little difficult to get the frame straight at first because you can't just hang it straight on. It's heavy towards the one side. Then you add on your jewelry and it slips the other way. I unloaded EVERY SINGLE PIECE of jewelry that I own from my standing jewelry chest and placed all necklaces, dangle earrings, and bracelets I had. I also got the chance to go through it all and ask myself if I really wanted it. I have a nice little baggie awaiting the yard sale I plan to have this summer. 

I am incredibly happy with how this turned out and it's definitely a HIT. What do you think? Ready to tackle your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment