Sunday, April 13, 2014

Food for Thought - Five Layer Brownies


The other night I had this huge craving to bake something. I had no idea what to bake so I asked Ryan what he'd like me to make and showed him all the desserts I've pinned. After three pins of letting him down - we didn't have the ingredients - I went to the kitchen to figure it out myself. I started by pulling out EVERYTHING baking related from my pantry. Literally, everything.


After deciding I wanted to make some sinful brownies, I ended up using the following:'

Brownies Layer
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
4 (heaping) tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Cookie Layer
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (chopped)

Peanut Butter Frosting
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 stick of butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp water

Additional
1/2 cup chopped pretzels
1/4 cup toffee bits

Here's how I concocted it...

Step 1. I started with the cookie layer to make sure it would all be ready by the time the brownie mix was set to go. I mixed the egg, oil, and vanilla together until they were well combined.

Step 2. Add in your dry ingredients (minus the chocolate pieces) and mix until you have the basic cookie dough. 


Step 3. Fold in your two ounces of chopped chocolate into your dough and then set aside. Try not to eat too much. 


Step 4. Preheat your oven to 350° F. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, oil, vanilla, and cocoa powder for the brownies. Mix well until fully combined.


Step 5. Add in the remaining dry ingredients for the brownies, mixing well. 

Step 6. In a foil-line 9" x 13" pan, pour half of the brownie mixture and spread until you have an even layer.


Step 7. Carefully, layer all the cookie dough on top of the brownie layer. Press down slightly, but not so that the brownie goes on top of the cookie dough.


Step 8. Take the remaining brownie batter and mix in the chopped pretzels, folding until the pretzels are evenly distributed. Pour the batter on top of the cookie dough layer. 


Step 9. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Checking the center with a toothpick.

Step 10. While your brownies are baking, soften one stick of butter and add it to a bowl with the peanut butter. Using an electric mixer beat the two together until well combined. Add in your water and powdered sugar until it has a smooth consistency. 

Step 11. Allow your brownies to cool overnight (or a few hours). Store your frosting in the fridge if you do. Layer on your frosting and then finish off with toffee bits (your fifth layer).


The good thing about baking your brownies in foil is that you can just lift it out of the pan, making it incredibly easier to cut. You may have to beat back the masses from these. They're fantastic and go quick. It's not hard to imagine why.


I know, I need a new camera. I've been using the one on my phone.What do you use? What would you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment