Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Toothless Wonder

Ryan, my husband, had surgery today. Up until about a month and a half ago, he didn't know he had wisdom teeth. I know that sounds weird, but his mouth is teeny tiny. He had to have like five teeth pulled when he was younger just so the rest of them would fit well. So when we switched dentists, he found out he did indeed have them (only two though, the others are still MIA) and they were impacted. One referral to an oral surgeon later they came back and said they needed to come out.

Now, I had my wisdom teeth (all four - all impacted - all but one broken apart) removed when I was 16 and a senior in high school. My birthday's weird so I graduated when I was 17. My surgery also helped me figure out the hard way that I'm allergic to hydrocodone. Cold sweats, feverish dreams, and passing out did my body good for the one pill I took. Then I switched over to extra strength tylenol the rest of the week. But for me, recovery was good. All the ice cream I could eat, no school for a week, and lots and lots of sleep. (I'm a big fan)

If you're unfamiliar with this young adult(ish) right of passage, first, congratulations on having a huge mouth and excellent dental genes, second, you can't eat solid food for like five days. For normal people this doesn't prove to be a problem. For Ryan...

Ryan doesn't like ice cream, pudding, jello, or popsicles. He sort of likes applesauce but only if it's mine and when it's really chunky. So today, as I'm feeding him pain pills (hydrocodone - imagine that) I'm also trying to stuff him with applesauce. Hard drugs on an empty stomach makes for an upset stomach. We made a trip to the store last night in anticipation of what he'd like. We walked away with ice packs (designed for lunch bags), a hot water bottle (at my insistance), and frozen pizzas (because we like to keep them on hand). He didn't want soup, he didn't want pudding, and I couldn't convince him with anything else. So right now, he's sitting on the couch, where he's been since we got back around 9:15 this morning, drinking black (cold) tea, and watching television. 

He's put up a fight about taking his pain medication, took a bite of applesauce, refused any other food, only to then request bread and butter, to then dislodge a clot and give up eating said bread. Men...I swear. But I love him, and I'm sorry he's in pain. My wallet's also sorry those wisdom teeth showed up on the dental x-rays. However, in less than two weeks, he'll be eating chicken and potatoes, potato chips and pizza, and drinking a cold, tall one. He'll be fine. If he makes it that long.

Here's the newest toothless wonder. If he wasn't so damn handsome, I'm not sure if he'd last the week. Good thing he is. 



No comments:

Post a Comment