Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tuesday Thriftovers - Fisherman Jar

I have many glass jars laying around the apartment. One might say I'm borderline hoarder but of course, it's not that bad. I even recently said I have too many and won't keep new ones until I use the ones I have for various projects. (Go me!) They're mostly empty wine bottles, salsa jars, and ice cream toppings. Hey, life's better with booze and processed foods.

I've had this one jar for a while; I may have even pilfered it from my mom. She found it outside digging in their backyard, I think. I loved the blue-green color of the glass which is unlike most of the food jars I have. Our bedroom has a beach theme to it and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to add another decor element but I didn't want to just stick the bottle there in with the other items on the mantle. I happened upon this great little tutorial and got to town.


The tutorial shows you how to tie a fisherman's net over jars and bottles. My bottle is 11 inches tall and the twine started at 8 inches. I'm not sure how tall her bottle was, but she called for 1.5' of twine. I used 2.5' and still ran out. To be safe, I'd quadruple the length of your bottle - not just the part being covered with the netting. Needless to say the bottom of my bottle doesn't look fantastic but overall it's pretty decent. It ties in pretty nicely with our beachy theme.


For about twenty minutes worth of my time I've got a nice additional for the mantle and one less bottle. What are you working on this week? Do you have any ideas of what I should do for those other bottles?

No comments:

Post a Comment