Friday, October 3, 2014

My Love|Hate Relationship with Running

I've tried to get into running a couple times in my life. Starting something new, especially when you're terrible at it, is awful when you're not doing it with someone. I tried the C25K program a couple years ago, but Ryan wouldn't do it with me. I lasted three and a half weeks then gave up. I didn't have anyone to push me when I wanted to be a pansy. 

This year, Ryan really got into biking. So much that we dropped nearly two grand on fancy bicycles. Don't get me wrong, these things are banging, but ouch. 

First, it's the biking. Then it's our iron man friends. Urging us to do more. Train for a triathlon. "This is my chance!" I thought. I could get us into running and then I could be a "runner." I shit you not, I've wanted to be a runner. I wanted to be one of those people gliding over the ground like a gazelle. Eating up miles like they were pasta dinners. 

Together, we started the C25K program. Two days into it, you know the run 60 seconds - walk 90 seconds repeat, my iron man friend decides we should go for a run. Together. Seriously,  my third day "running," I went with a seasoned athlete. An athlete who had finished the iron man not once, but twice. An athlete who at one time was the top woman for off road triathlons in the North East. Yea, I went running with her. 

I. Wanted. To. Die. 

I struggled. Through four miles, I struggled. I ran, I walked. I finished. At the end, she congratulated me on my run. I countered that I didn't run, I didn't do what she did. I'm not a runner. She, a seasoned freaking athlete, complimented me on my pace (about a 13:40 minutes/mile) and said I'm awesome.

I had to step back and smile. How could I not be proud? I finished

Now that Ryan and I are in week seven of C25K, we're running for 25 straight minutes. Last night we ran 2.55 miles at a 13:51 pace (including the distance of a ten minute warm up walk). Not a record breaker by any means. But we ran. 

I look back to that third day and I'm so glad I didn't give up. Because now? I'm a runner.


No comments:

Post a Comment