Wednesday, October 15, 2014

My Grown Up Closet

For as long as I remember, I've wanted a really fantastic closet. You know the kind? The ones straight out of a magazine, with pull out drawers, wooden hangers, and shelves for sweaters? It would also be a walk-in with fancy lights and a place for my jewelry. I settle for this...


To level set, when Ryan and I moved into our apartment we got three "reach-in" closets. We have a closet for coats (and everything kitchen related that can't fit in the kitchen) in the living room, a good size (about 8' long) closet in the "den," and then what I assume is a normal (3.5' long) size closet in our bedroom. If you're wondering how we manage all the stuff we accumulate (decorations, hobby stuff, etc), it's not well. 

After two years of having my closet in a separate room, I got tired. I told Ryan he was going to suck it up and deal and we were going to share a closet. Naturally, he wasn't happy that "his" space now had to be "our" space.

After I made him go through every single thing in the closet (and his dresser), made him put his fifteen pairs of jeans (um, what the hell?!) in his dresser, and moved my stuff in, I worked on my next "project closet perfection" phase. Wooden hangers. 

Because if I couldn't have a glorious walk-in closet anytime soon, I could at least have nice hangers that would last forever.

I priced them out, which holy cow ouch, and then asked for the gift cards for Wal*Mart for my birthday. That way Ryan wouldn't freak over the cost and I could have my grown up closet. 

I'm happy to state that, today, I switched the last of the plastic hangers out for the new wooden ones. Of the one hundred twenty-eight hangers I ordered, I have six empty ones. Six. Which would most likely be filled if 1) our joint closet wasn't jam packed or 2) we put laundry away right after doing it.

Now, I have a HUGE box of plastic hangers left awaiting a new home. I'm giving my mom a bag of one hundred five hangers, yes I counted. I gave thirty to my brother and his girlfriend. I just have this box left. 


And no, I didn't count them. But I did take the time to put them in color order. Because, these are my priorities. Fancy hangers and color order.

I'm not quite sure how I justified the hangers, but I'm pretty sure I used the word "investment." Next phase in project closet perfection? A light!

Have you ever convinced your other half that buying something frivolous unnecessary was a good idea? What was it? Have you been on the other side of an argument discussion like that?


No comments:

Post a Comment