Tuesday, November 26, 2013

What can I craft this Tuesday? Christmas Garland

In preparation for the Christmas season this year, I raided Hobby Lobby a few days after Christmas for some fantastic deals on their holiday decorations. Typically any leftover stuff they have on the shelves gets reduced to 50%, 75%, and finally 80% off. I snagged two nine foot garlands for about $5.00 total. Go me, for the win. 

Of course, by the time I bought them (in January), they were put away with the Valentine's Day decor. That was a joy to try and find again. Once we did find them, they promptly sat on the couch for two weeks while I got my act together. And boy did I. Here's what I started with:


That's one garland, a string of white 100 count LED lights (1/2 price at Walmart after Christmas), some muslin fabric, and one ripped bed skirt. Yep, you read that right, a bed skirt. We got itfor our wedding and in the one year we've lived at the apartment, seams are tearing, pillows are exploding, and the bed skirt was ripped. I don't think we're all that crazy in bed (don't read too much into that) but I didn't expect this thing to be falling apart at the seams! 

This year our tree is again blue and silver so I thought that it would be a good filler for my garland. After separating it from the white stuff, I proceeded to cut it into a bajillion 1" x 6" strips. Then I tied, and tied, and tied. With some pinspiration, I thought it would look neat wrapped around the garland. 




I tied two strips of fabric between each set of lights. Then I cut up the muslin in the same fashion and repeated. There were so many strips to tie. 


Here's what it looked like once I was done with the fabric.


Then I wrapped it around my garland and set it up on my mantel. I think it looks pretty damn nice. Maybe next year I'll make it fuller with other ribbon, ornament, or pine cones. What do you think? What should I add?


What have you done for your house to get it in the holiday spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment