Tuesday, December 17, 2013

What can I craft this Tuesday? Jolly Rancher Vodka

"Pssst...I've got a secret...Santa's coming." That phrase makes me smile just about every year. Right around this time, maybe a week or two earlier, my mom starts telling me this. It's like a highlight of the year. 

In case you've been procrastinating gift buying, like my husband, here's a last minute project you can make today that'd be ready for gifting on Christmas next week. I made it for my brother for his 28th birthday back in November. He hasn't tried it yet but it's sure to be delicious.

Here's what you need:

1 large bag of Jolly Ranchers
5 glass swing-top bottles (buy at Hobby Lobby when they have the half off glass sale)
1 handle of the cheapest vodka you can find (I used Fleischmann's)

Here's what you do:

Step 1. Wash all your swing-top bottles with hot water and let air dry as you're going through the next step.

Step 2. Unwrap each and every single jolly rancher in the bag. You should end up with about twelve of each flavor and possibly a hand cramp. If not, no biggy. 


Step 3. Add about eight candies of each flavor to separate swing-top bottles. I did twelve and I think it was too many.


Step 4. Open your cheap ass vodka and using a funnel, pour in the vodka until you hit the bottom of the bulb at the top. This is very exact. Not really.


Step 5. Set it and forget it. For about a week. You don't need to shake them. But let's face it, it's fun and feels rewarding. Here's a couple pictures of what'll happen. You'll know it's ready when the candies are no longer visible and the corn syrup it was made from is no longer coating the bottom. Gross, I know.

that one of the right is vanilla beans in vodka

the morning after I put it together

then I shook them 

Step 6. Wrap and give those bad boys away. Or enjoy. Either way.


Do you have any left to shop for? Does anyone you know fit the bill for this gift? Any last minute things you're trying to put together?

No comments:

Post a Comment